On November 2019, we proudly welcomed our new platinum sponsor, Toyota, and highlighted their minority-owned dealerships across the country! Toyota transformed four state-of-the art, Toyota/Lexus dealerships into IN THE BLACK venues. And they were gala affairs to remember.
To highlight breast cancer awareness, attendees accessorized their little black dresses with accents of pink to salute multicultural women who are making a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
Why IN THE BLACK? Because you know all the black items every woman needs:
- That little black dress that quickly converts you from home-office CEO in sweats to serious, fun-loving, business owner ready to conquer the world
- A little black book with a great list of colleagues, family members, and friends who offer support, advice, and guidance
- A black box full of tools and resources
- A black bag full of products that make you feel beautiful
- A lot of black ink on your balance sheet, helping to keep your eye on profit and sustainability
2019 was a banner year for our fifth-annual IN THE BLACK tour, which kicked off in Fort Pierce and ended with the finale in Detroit. The entrepreneurship panel sponsored by The Coca-Cola 5by20 initiative focused on access to capital, and the audience-favorite style segment featured fashion icons.
Vanessa Williams’ brand new clothing line unveiled a special little black dress designed to fit all body types (!) and easily transitions from day to night — in a snap! An Odyssey favorite returned: Essence Magazine editor-at-large Mikki Taylor — a leader in beauty and style for women of color.
Every woman needs the right accessories to compliment her signature look. You know what we’re talking about! And handbag designer Mark Paige hit the stage to show us the latest trends. She did not disappoint. Project Runway’s Season 17 finalist Bishme Cromartie joined us to talk about his journey as a fashion designer.